Michelle Yeoh is a woman to reckon with when it comes to acting as she has contributed immensely to the growth of the entertainment industry. Let’s check out some of her awesome works.
Early Life and Career
Michelle Yeoh was born on August 6, 1962, in Ipoh, Malaysia, into a wealthy family. She was interested in physical activities from an early age, including basketball and swimming, but her passion was ballet. Yeoh began studying ballet at the age of four and continued to do so throughout her childhood.
At the age of 15, Yeoh moved with her family to the United Kingdom, where she was enrolled in The Hammond School in Chester to train as a ballet dancer. She excelled in her studies and was offered a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Dance in London.
After graduating from the Royal Academy, Yeoh joined the Ballet Bejart company in Switzerland. She danced with the company for a brief period before an injury forced her to retire from ballet.
In 1992, Yeoh made her Hollywood debut in the James Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies,” playing the character of Wai Lin. She continued to work in Hollywood and starred in several successful films, including “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Memoirs of a Geisha.”
Michelle Yeoh has had a prolific career in film, spanning over three decades. She has acted in a variety of genres, including action, drama, comedy, and romance. Here are some of her notable films:
- Yes, Madam (1985) – This Hong Kong action film marked Yeoh’s debut as an actress. She played a tough police officer who teams up with a rookie detective to take down a drug lord.
- Police Story 3: Super Cop (1992) – Yeoh starred alongside Jackie Chan in this action-comedy film. She played an Interpol agent who goes undercover to infiltrate a drug cartel.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) – Yeoh received critical acclaim for her role in this martial arts epic. She played a skilled warrior who is torn between duty and love.
- Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) – Yeoh played a mentor to the main character in this drama film set in Japan. She received praise for her nuanced performance.
- Avatar (2009) – Yeoh played a supporting role in this sci-fi blockbuster directed by James Cameron. She played a scientist who studies the alien world of Pandora.
- Crazy Rich Asians (2018) – Yeoh played a stern mother in this romantic comedy film. She received positive reviews for her portrayal of a matriarch who disapproves of her son’s girlfriend.
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) – Yeoh played a mentor to the main character in this Marvel superhero film. She showcased her martial arts skills in several action scenes.
- A Haunting in Vernice.
These are just a few examples of Michelle Yeoh’s diverse filmography. She continues to be a respected and admired actress in the industry.
Michelle Yeoh Net Worth
Michelle Yeoh is a successful actress who has accumulated a considerable net worth throughout her career. As of 2023, her net worth is estimated to be $40 million Celebrity Net Worth.